Seven Facts About Allison W.
- I started out as an actress at 17 in the late 1990s. It was a lot of fun. I always wanted to story-tell. My parents remind me that I wanted to do something with story-telling my whole life. I guess acting makes sense though I can’t imagine doing anything but writing these days.
- Though I started as an actress, I ended up a teacher for many years. I taught English and got to play in stories that way. I’ve always been a bit of a mentor at heart, so it made a lot of sense for me. I was recently asked if I felt like I’d wasted my time pursuing other things before finally pinning down writing as my life’s work. Not for a second.
- I love movie soundtracks and old TV show theme songs.
- Though I write in various genres, most of my work features strong heroines in a coming-of-age story, and there’s always romance.
- I didn’t think I liked poetry growing up past my Shel Silverstein phase. It grew one me in college, but it wasn’t until I took a poetry writing class in graduate school that I actually tried writing it. Ninety percent of the poems in my chapbook were written in that class. Now, I write poetry as a creative release, fearing it’s never good, but oftentimes needing to do it anyway.
- My family and my friends are the hallmark of my life. I enjoy their company though they may think I don’t since I’ve become a bit of a recluse with my writing lately.
- An extension of myself beyond the keyboard includes love for old movies, dismay that bookstores are dying, and joy in really good takeout. One day soon this writing will pay off, and I intend to live the world. Until then, see you around the blogosphere.
Any fun facts about yourself you’d like to share in the comments below? I’d love to hear them!